Wednesday, April 9, 2008

CGH results

Out of the 5 blasts that were frozen, we have one "inconclusive" embryo. The other 4 were abnormal. I'm still not completely clear on how an embryo ends up getting an inconclusive result but the best I can understand is that, for some reason, the DNA was not able to be read from the cell they removed making the testing impossible. So, basically, "inconclusive" means untested.
The Dr. assured me that the fact the DNA couldn't be read is a technical issue and does not reflect on the embryo itself. Even so, what are the odds that the one embryo they couldn't test would be the only normal one out of the bunch? So, yeah, as far as I'm concerned we pretty much just had a cycle with all abnormal embryos and I have no idea if it was a fluke thing or if my days of having a few tested normal embryos per cycle are now over.

Fortunately, even though they usually will not transfer an untested embryo along with a tested normal one, my Dr. agreed to make an exception in our case since my surrogate can only go out there the one time for a transfer. And, since I haven't had success transferring 3 tested normal embryos to myself at this point, I think the untested embryo has a much better shot being transferred to her.

Now we are just waiting on my surrogate's DQ/HLA testing to come back and I'm praying she won't have a match with my husband. I'm not even sure if I believe in the whole DQ/HLA matching theory but I can't imagine going through with the ET if my Dr. told me there was no chance it would work due to a match. I would think it'd be extremely unlikely she'll have a match with him. She's had 5 children (one delivered for a couple as a surrogate) and each was conceived with a different man. And, of course, she did get pregnant for us once but miscarried due to an abnormal embryo.

No comments: